Monday, August 23, 2004

We don't buy

One of the things that sets this used-book store apart from many others is the fact I do not buy books from customers. My landlord won't accept books in payment of my rent. Credit is another scary scenario. I currently have over 100 dollars in credit at a paperback exchange. So if 100 customers have $100 in credit does that mean we can all demand our money on the same day and drive the guy out of business? WHat happens when the credit value equals more than the value of the inventory? I get the books from a variety of sources. Most books come from groups that are trying to raise money. They arrange to have a book drive with me. After their drive is finished I pay them for the books they collected. Then I try to sell the books. Secondary sources include garage sales, local junk shops and a small amount come from remainder houses. I'm very pleased with the selection on offer in the store. I have a very good ratio of purchases to customers. Approximately, 90% of the people who come in the store buy something. The reasons I don't buy from customers are many.

  1. I set high standards for the condition of books in the store and find that many books that are offered to me are not up to par. Rejecting books that people have brought in to sell to me creates a negative feeling that may stop the customer from returning.
  2. 90% of the people who ask me to buy their books have never been in the store before, have never bought a book from me and are likely to never buy a book from me in the future. I get many phone calls from people who are moving away, are cleaning out a dead relatives book collection, have boxes of books in the basement or garage that they haven't read in years and don't have time to read now. So, why would I want to give them my money?
  3. During my research of the business I discovered that many people who sell their books to used-book stores stop using that book store. They believe that the books they see in the store are books they have already read. They can't see past the titles that they know they had and think the inventory in that store isn't very fresh or new. They stop buying.
  4. I discovered that in paperback exchange stores the inventories are often very battered and old. Just how many times can you read a paperback?
  5. I get way too many copies of the same book in the store. My space is limited.
The up side of the book drives is that it creates a positive impression on people. It advertises the business to the people who are in contact with the group. I have complete control over when they take place and how much the book drive can make. I set time and money limits. Most groups are so happy to find a way to raise money without begging for money or asking people to buy things. It is a nice neat parcel of advertising, good will and inventory! I suggest anyone intersted in rasing some money for a small group should approach their local paperback exchange and ask to set up a book drive. Have the seller be very specific about what they want and the maximum they have to spend. The most I have paid to one group is $3,000.00. Usually I spend between $200 to $500 on a drive. This is definitely for small groups. Small groups often have the hardest time raising the money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home